Project #1: Static Multimedia Instruction
- Apply multimedia and contiguity principles to instruction.
- Self-assess progress by viewing classmates’ assignments.
For our first project in 513 I had to create a static multimedia instruction with the help of ‘Clarify”. My choice of topic was to create instruction for my high school Economic students on how to create diagrams with the help of Word and Google doc. For this static multimedia instruction we have to reflect on the ways in which it demonstrates the principles of multimedia and contiguity.
In my opinion, there is graphics in the static instruction and at the same time there is text guiding students step by step what they need to do. Thus the contiguity principle is to some extent adhered to. Also as the multimedia instruction is static it allows for more active learning on the part of the student where the student needs to imagine or try on creating a diagram following the instruction.
The combination of two forms of media- pictures and printed text represents the multimedia principle. It presents information well and allow students to be actively involved in learning.
I took the following steps to create the project:
- Downloaded ‘Clarify’ and read the instructions carefully on what I need to do.
- I took some time to think about an idea of what static multimedia instructions to create until it dawned on me that my students experience difficulties with creating diagrams in Word and Google doc when they join their first online course in Economics.
- I set up the screenshot tool of Clarify to 4sec. and this was a really useful feature which allowed me to bring up the drop-down menu while creating screenshots.
- After taking screenshots I arranged the files and wrote the instructions for each.
- Then I exported the document as a PDF as instructed and created this blog to which I attached the PDF document for the multimedia instruction.
AECT Standard 1 (Content Knowledge): Candidate demonstrate the knowledge necessary to create, use, assess and manage theoretical and practical applications of educational technologies and processes.
AECT Standard 4 (Professional Knowledge and Skills): Candidates design, develop, implement and evaluate technology-rich learning environments within a supportive community of practice.
Here is the PDF file which I created with the help of “Clarify”:
14th Feb, 2016
My Animoto video intro: